Founded in 1773 in South Jutland, the site is an example of
a planned settlement of the Moravian Church, a Lutheran free
congregation centred in Herrnhut, Saxony. The town was planned to
represent the Protestant urban ideal, constructed around a central
Church square. The architecture is homogenous and unadorned, with one
and two-storey buildings in yellow brick with red tile roofs. The
democratic organization of the Moravian Church, with its pioneering
egalitarian philosophy, is expressed in its humanistic town planning.
The settlement’s plan opens onto agricultural land and includes
important buildings for the common welfare such as large communal houses
for the congregation’s widows and unmarried men and women. The
buildings are still in use and many are still owned by the local
Moravian Church community.