When Emmanuel-Philibert, Duke of Savoy, moved his capital
to Turin in 1562, he began a vast series of building projects (continued
by his successors) to demonstrate the power of the ruling house. This
outstanding complex of buildings, designed and embellished by the
leading architects and artists of the time, radiates out into the
surrounding countryside from the Royal Palace in the 'Command Area' of
Turin to include many country residences and hunting lodges.