Built between 1482 and 1533, this group of buildings was
originally used for trading in silk (hence its name, the Silk Exchange)
and it has always been a centre for commerce. It is a masterpiece of
late Gothic architecture. The grandiose Sala de Contratación (Contract
or Trading Hall), in particular, illustrates the power and wealth of a
major Mediterranean mercantile city in the 15th and 16th centuries.