Bryggen, the old wharf of Bergen, is a reminder of the
town’s importance as part of the Hanseatic League’s trading empire from
the 14th to the mid-16th century. Many fires, the last in 1955, have
ravaged the characteristic wooden houses of Bryggen. Its rebuilding has
traditionally followed old patterns and methods, thus leaving its main
structure preserved, which is a relic of an ancient wooden urban
structure once common in Northern Europe. Today, some 62 buildings
remain of this former townscape.