Located on the outskirts of Sofia, Boyana Church consists
of three buildings. The eastern church was built in the 10th century,
then enlarged at the beginning of the 13th century by Sebastocrator
Kaloyan, who ordered a second two storey building to be erected next to
it. The frescoes in this second church, painted in 1259, make it one of
the most important collections of medieval paintings. The ensemble is
completed by a third church, built at the beginning of the 19th century.
This site is one of the most complete and perfectly preserved monuments
of east European medieval art.