Tel Aviv was founded in 1909 and developed as a
metropolitan city under the British Mandate in Palestine. The White City
was constructed from the early 1930s until the 1950s, based on the
urban plan by Sir Patrick Geddes, reflecting modern organic planning
principles. The buildings were designed by architects who were trained
in Europe where they practised their profession before immigrating. They
created an outstanding architectural ensemble of the Modern Movement in
a new cultural context.