The Church of the Ascension was built in 1532 on
the imperial estate of Kolomenskoye, near Moscow, to celebrate the birth
of the prince who was to become Tsar Ivan IV ('the Terrible'). One of
the earliest examples of a traditional wooden tent-roofed church on a
stone and brick substructure, it had a great influence on the
development of Russian ecclesiastical architecture.